The Work of the Office

The students are divided into 3 categories


These students have been awarded scholarships by the Royal Thai Government, universities, and other official authorities. Additionally, there are students who are sponsored by non-government organizations such as EGAT, Bank of Thailand and international organizations such as the British Council, WHO, etc.

The scholars study mainly postgraduate courses for Master degrees or Ph.D degrees. However, each year a few students with high school leaving qualifications are sent to study for GCE A-levels in order to prepare for entry to first degrees at British Universities. A few scholarships are given to disabled scholars. In total there are approximately 1100 scholars studying in the United Kingdom in 2012.

On their return home the scholars are contracted to work for the government for 2 years for every year of their scholarship.

Some Government Officials are also awarded these scholarships.

Placement Before their arrival in the UK, most scholars have applied and been accepted from Thailand for places in postgraduate courses in their chosen fields at universities. The OEA continues monitoring the admission procedure, accommodation and tuition fees once they have registered at the office on arrival.

For the A-level scholars preparing to enter for their first degree, the OEA arranges school and college placement, advises on courses, monitors progress and supervises the UCAS application procedures.

Monitoring The Office monitors students’ academic progress closely, making sure that any problems which arise (such as councelling or university/course transfers) can be dealt with promptly.

Finance The OEA is responsible for paying all tuition fees and maintenance for the scholars and guaranteeing their financial status. All invoices for fees are carefully scrutinised and negotiations take place on appropriate tuition fees, financial assistance, scholarships and bursaries. Each scholar receives a maintenance allowance and certain other expenses.

Memorandums of Understanding have been negotiated with some universities such as University College London and the University of Birmingham for scholarships to be awarded by the universities and by the Royal Thai Government to very promising postgraduates.

The Office promotes close relationships with the International offices in many universities and receives warm collaboration and financial assistance for our scholars.

2. GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS on study leave.

These are government officials who have been permitted to further their studies, undertake training or conduct research in selective fields during a specific period of time. A few study on their own funds and report to the OEA.

They are sponsored by either the Thai Government or the British Council in collaboration with British Institutes or by various sources, to attend short courses of professional training programmes or are research fellows. These programmes range from 3 – 12 months.


Private students can also be under the care of the OEA. The office is fully responsible for private students’ education and welfare, but they are financially supported by their parents. They range in age from those at Preparatory School, sometimes as young as 8 years old, to Postgraduate level. The services the OEA give are much appreciated by schools, universities, parents and students. Moreover with excellent contacts and many years of experience here at the OEA, we are able to negotiate problems because of our understanding of both the Thai and the British cultures.

The parents or guardians sign a contract for the duration of their education in the UK which makes the Minister (for Education) the official guardian in the United Kingdom. This is renewable every year. The Minister (for Education) is then responsible for the education and welfare of the students. This is a requirement of the British Government for all international students below 18 years of age, however older students have also found it advantageous and beneficial to be registered with the OEA.

In order to place your child under the care of the OEA, the office requires the following fees:


Students under University level

Students at University level

Fee to cover the services of the OEA.

£350 per annum

£250 per annum

Reserve Fund paid into the
student’s OEA account to cover application fees, small incidental expenses and emergencies.

£1000 per annum

£500 per annum

Services of the OEA given to privately funded students:

  • Placement Arrangements are made for placement in schools, colleges and universities. This is normally after discussion with parents and students in order to decide which would be the most suitable placement for the ability, capability and talents of the individual student. A preparatory course of English and academic studies gives the student the necessary language and study skills to integrate into a school, college or university easily.
  • Appointments The Office is pleased to arrange appointments for parents to visit schools, for students to be taken for interviews and entry tests to be taken.
  • Pre-boarding school courses We find that students benefit greatly from attending a school which specialises in preparing them for boarding school. The OEA thus strongly recommend these courses. The courses aim to improve their language skills with particular focus on gaining confidence with speaking, however other school subjects are also studied, giving students necessary academic vocabulary.
  • Progress and attendance During their time in the United Kingdom, the progress, attendance and behaviour of the students are carefully monitored and if necessary visits are made to schools to sort out problems. Every student is also offered counselling should they require it.
  • Revision courses are arranged especially before important examinations and extra English tuition if needed.
  • Counselling and advice Students are offered counselling from staff at the OEA – who have great expertise in this field. Furthermore, advice is given regarding options for GCSE and A-level subjects, extra tuition and many other matters. This includes matters such as opening bank accounts in the UK etc.
  • University entrance and degree courses We advise and liaise with students and their schools during the whole process. This begins with deciding the universities to which application is made, right through to the actual entry to university about a year later. Of particular importance is in August when students are in Thailand for the summer holidays. It is at this time that the A level results are published, and so the offers need to be acted upon and important decisions must be made.
  • Undergraduates and Postgraduates During their time at university we offer students help and advice with any problems, occasionally arranging extra tuition. This process continues for postgraduate students.
  • Host family accommodation Accommodation is organised for half term, weekend exeats and if necessary long school holidays. Owing to the strict Children Law, this often has to be outsourced to a family-finding agency so the host family can be checked by the Police and Social Services, references taken up and the home inspected. The OEA work closely with the agency to ensure the most suitable host family is assigned to take care of the student and the OEA has negotiated a special reduced fee for this service for students who are under the OEA’s care.
  • Travel Arrangements are made for students travel to and from school. In addition, a service can be arranged where the students are met at the airport or taken to the airport.
  • Passports and visas Assistance is given with the renewal of passports and British visa extensions. Most visas need to be applied for in person and this can be a great disruption to schooling (see Visa Requirements under separate heading) and will need a minimum of 4 week’s notice.
  • Health and welfare The OEA ask to be informed immediately when a student is ill, has an accident or requires medical treatment in order to give immediate assistance to the student.
  • Fees Parents are responsible for paying tuition fees and accommodation fees, which must be paid directly from Thailand. In addition, parents must also provide the Office with a small fund for incidental expenses and emergencies.If it is necessary for a member of the OEA staff to visit the student and/or school, parents are requested to complete a special form (Parent Consent for Work) and pay all expenses for the member of staff in connection with this.

Student counselling centre

In 2010, the OEA joined forces with the NHS in order to arrange a student counselling service for Thai students studying in the UK who were experiencing problems and required counselling.

The OEA invites a fully qualified Thai psychiatrist from the National Health Service (NHS) and the Thai Ministry of Public Health to work in the student counselling centre, to offer advice, therapy and to assist students with problems. The service is strictly confidential and is not shared with the educational institution in which the student is enrolled. Furthermore, this service is free of charge and readily available for all students under the care of the OEA.

Studying abroad can be a new and often daunting experience for foreign students. Therefore, during the study period in the UK some Thai students may encounter problems. These problems can be a wide range of issues, from study related problems to personal problems and so forth. The counselling service that the OEA offers can help with any problem that the student may have encountered whilst studying in the UK, and aims to help students resolve these problems swiftly and effectively in order to help them have the best possible experience whilst here in the UK.

The counselling service with a qualified Thai Counsellor is available every Saturday, between 2pm-5pm at the OEA building in 28 Princes Gate, London, SW7 1PT.
In order to make an appointment the student should fill out the form below and send it to helpcare@oealondon.com

Short (summer) courses

The OEA arranges short courses during the Thai summer (March – May). The students are escorted to the UK by a government official from the Head Office in Bangkok in 4 or 5 groups and when they arrive in this country go to the English Language schools which have been arranged for them prior to their arrival. The policy of the OEA is for the students to integrate with other nationalities; therefore numbers of Thai students at each school are restricted. The length of the courses range from 4 – 10 weeks and the students are escorted back to Thailand at the end of their course. OEA staff and the escorting officials from Bangkok visit the students and schools during their course and maintain regular contact with them.

Other short courses

Short courses can be arranged in October for the 1 month half term holiday and also for students at International Schools where the long vacation is for June, July and August.

For more information, please contact to Office of the Civil Service Commission Thailand or Office of Educational Affairs, The Royal Thai Embassy London

Procedure for applying to be under the care of the OEA.

Parents wishing to place a student under the care of this Office can apply to either:

Head Office

Education & Training Abroad Service

Office of the Civil Service Commission

47/111 Tiwanon Road,

Talad Kwan Sub-District

Muang District

Nonthaburi 11000

Tel: +66 2 547 1000

Fax: +66 2 547 7293

London Office

Office of Educational Affairs

The Royal Thai Embassy

28 Princes Gate

London SW7 1PT

Tel: +44 207 584 4538

Fax: +44 207 823 9896

email: info@oeauk.net

The procedure is normally in two steps:

Step 1: Placement and Advice: Before coming to the UK, staff at the OEA are pleased to give advice and make arrangements for the placement of students at appropriate schools and universities. Parents/guardians are asked to fill in a number of forms and send them back to the OEA with £125 payable to the Office of Educational Affairs.

(Links to forms needed)

Step 2: Signing the Contract. The OEA will act as guardian to the student (it is a Government requirement that all overseas students have a guardian in the United Kingdom). Therefore, preferably before the student comes to study in Britain, the parents should complete the necessary forms, complete with all relevant documentation and submit it to the Office in order for the application to be processed and the student to become under the care of the OEA. The contract can be signed and the Office can then provide all services, including when the student enters University, whilst still continuing to give support and academic advice.

The requirements for students’ applications are as follows:

  • Identity card (one copy)
  • In the case of students under the age of 20, a consent form signed by a parent or guardian
  • Evidence of English study transcripts (one copy)
  • Documentation to show application for English study (one copy)
  • If applicable, any results from any English tests taken (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, GMAT) (one copy)
  • 2 recent passport style photographs

The requirements for parents/guardians are as follows:

  • Identity card of one of the parents (one copy)
  • House registration of one of the parents (one copy)
  • Bank statement for the previous 6 months showing a balance of at least 1 million baht
  • Fees (dependent on the study level of the student): £1350 for students under university level – £350 for the annual fee and £1000 for the reserve fund to cover emergency expenses, or, £750 for students at the university level – £250 for the annual fee and £500 for the reserve fund to cover emergency expenses

Please click to download the forms to be completed.

(links for forms)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Switch to our mobile site